-->

Monday, April 30, 2012

Ready to Stitch

A few weeks ago a friend of mine gave me some beautiful clothing grade buffalo leather scraps, enough to make some medicine bags out of.  I haven’t done anything with it yet as I was missing some tools.  The leather is tanned the traditional way, without the use of chemicals.  I’m not sure of the process, but it does make a really lovely leather.

So I went into one of the local saddlers to get some waxed thread and 2 needles, which cost me $12.  He seemed very put out that I had not bought the leather from him.  He showed me some of his leather, which was no where near as nice as the leather my friend gave me.  He also had no respect for the leather nor the animal it came off of.  Some of the leather was just dumped on the floor and more was thrown on shelving.

This attitude is common in farming communities.  Animals are seen as goods to be used.  They are not respected as living breathing creatures who have feelings and who think, just the same as we do.

Needless to say, I won’t be shopping there again.  I will buy my leather online from people I know who respect the animal and want to honour the animal’s spirit, from people who use no chemicals in the production of their leather.  I will also buy my other supplies online too.  I will not financially support someone who’s attitude is stuck in the middle ages, which his is.

No comments:

Post a Comment